Inside 245-5D

Existential Pontification and Generalized Abstract Digressions

DP Zoo Tour

Someone told me it’s all happening at the zoo...

I’ve always thought dynamic programming was a pretty crummy name for the practice of storing sub-calculations to be used later. Why not call it table-filling algorithms, because indeed, thinking of a dynamic programming algorithm as one that fills in a table is a quite good way of thinking about it.

In fact, you can almost completely characterize a dynamic programming algorithm by the shape of its table and how the data flows from one cell to another. And if you know what this looks like, you can often just read off the complexity without knowing anything about the problem.

So what I did was collected up a bunch of dynamic programming problems from Introduction to Algorithms and drew up the tables and data flows. Here’s an easy one to start off with, which solves the Assembly-Line problem:

/img/dp-zoo/path.png

The blue indicates the cells we can fill in ‘for free’, since they have no dependencies on other cells. The red indicates cells that we want to figure out, in order to pick the optimal solution from them. And the grey indicates a representative cell along the way, and its data dependency. In this case, the optimal path for a machine to a given cell only depends on the optimal paths to the two cells before it. (Because, if there was a more optimal route, than it would have shown in my previous two cells!) We also see there are a constant number of arrows out of any cell and O(n) cells in this table, so the algorithm clearly takes O(n) time total.

Here’s the next introduction example, optimal parenthesization of matrix multiplication.

/img/dp-zoo/matrix.png

Each cell contains the optimal parenthesization of the subset i to j of matrixes. To figure this out the value for a cell, we have to consider all of the possible combos of existing parentheticals that could have lead to this (thus the multiple arrows). There are O(n²) boxes, and O(n) arrows, for O(n³) overall.

Here’s a nice boxy one for finding the longest shared subsequence of two strings. Each cell represents the longest shared subsequence of the first string up to x and the second string up to y. I’ll let the reader count the cells and arrows and verify the complexity is correct.

/img/dp-zoo/subsequence.png

There aren’t that many ways to setup dynamic programming tables! Constructing optimal binary search trees acts a lot like optimal matrix parenthesization. But the indexes are a bit fiddly. (Oh, by the way, Introduction to Algorithms is 1-indexed; I’ve switched to 0-indexing here for my examples.)

/img/dp-zoo/binary.png

Here we get into exercise land! The bitonic Euclidean traveling salesman problem is pretty well-known on the web, and its tricky recurrence relation has to do with the bottom edge. Each cell represents the optimal open bitonic route between i and j.

/img/dp-zoo/bitonic.png

The lovely word wrapping problem, a variant of which lies at the heart of the Knuth TeX word wrapping algorithm, takes advantage of some extra information to bound the number of cells one has to look back. (The TeX algorithm does a global optimization, so the complexity would be O(n²) instead.) Each cell represents the optimal word wrapping of all the words up to that point.

/img/dp-zoo/text.png

Finally, the edit problem, which seems like the authors decided to pile on as much complexity as they could muster, falls out nicely when you realize each string operation they order you to design corresponds to a single arrow to some earlier cell. Useful! Each cell is the optimal edit chain from that prefix of the source to that prefix of the destination.

/img/dp-zoo/edit.png

And the zookeeper is very fond of rum.

Squares, triangles, rectangles, those were the tables I usually found. I’m curious to know if there are more exotic tables that DP algorithms have filled out. Send them in and I’ll draw them!

14 Responses to “DP Zoo Tour”

1. Mike Rosulek says:

I like this notation and will show it to my algorithms students!

BTW, the name “dynamic programming” does actually (kinda) mean “filling up a table”.. at least it comes from an antiquated usage of the word “programming” from the 1950s, which refers to using a table rather than coding in a computer language.

Which “Introduction to Algorithms” are you using? It would be nice to see the descriptions of the algorithms as well. I can see what the algorithms are doing by looking at your diagrams, but for example I don’t know the “assembly line” problem by that name. The others seem more standard.

If the space of subproblems is 2-dimensional then you will be unlikely to see anything other than squares, rectangles, triangles. Some DP problems have 3-, 4-, whatever-dimensional spaces of subproblems. Possibly the most natural one I can think of is the Floyd-Warshall algorithm for all-pairs shortest paths, with a 3-dimensional subproblem space. Don’t know how you’re going to draw it though ;)

There is also the “seam carving” algorithm — the problem of finding the least noticeable horizontal or vertical “seam” through an image. Its diagram would be mostly like the one for longest common subsequence, but dependency arrows going N, NW, NE, instead of N, W, NW.

2. wren ng thornton says:

As Mike Rosulek said, you’re unlikely to find more chart shapes in 2D algorithms, but there are a bunch in 3D and 4D. In addition to Floyd–Warshall, Dijkstra’s, and similar graph algorithms, you also get all the various chart-based natural language parsing algorithms: CKY, Earley’s, dotted CKY,…

Of course, the thing that makes DP interesting to study isn’t the shape of the chart, it’s the shape of the recurrences in the chart. And for that, the word wrapping problem and the bitonic Euclidean traveling salesman algorithm both show that there are some surprisingly interesting recurrence shapes aside from the usual shape of the previous 1-3 cells.

3. Anonymous says:

There’s actually a fun little story behind the name “dynamic programming”: the term was meant to be impressive and vague. Read more: http://arcanesentiment.blogspot.com/2010/04/why-dynamic-programming.html

4. Jack says:

This is exactly how I was taught dynamic programming in college – using tables as visualizations. One of the first ones we started with was the knapsack problem. Awesome post, brings back memories!

5. Anonymous says:

What does Viterbi look like?

6. I remember trying to draw Viterbi, but I can’t remember off the top of my head why it didn’t make it into the final post. Lemme think about it. I think it’s just the standard trellis representation of the algorithm.

7. Xiong Chiamiov says:

@Mike Rosulek:

I believe it is Cormen et al’s Introduction to Algorithms. It seems to be a common book, and the terminology of the edit problem is familiar to me.

8. Simon Burton says:

I used n-dimensional tables to get a grip on automatic differentiation. I assume this is the dynamic programming version of symbolic differentiation.

See http://arrowtheory.com/SimonBurtonThesis.pdf section 4.2

9. Joel M says:

How are people so clever!? I wish my brain could swallow all this information as easily as some people. I’m studying to get onto a computer science university course but I doubt I’ll ever understand a lot of the things you talk about :(

10. […] Come visualizzare il comportamento e quindi la complessità degli algoritmi di programmazione dinamica. […]

11. […] Great dynamic programming article on visually calculating complexity – Link […]

12. Mats says:

I recall edit distance from Computational Genetics when doing genome sequence alignment, introduced as “that algorithm Wikipedia uses when you look at change history”. Ever since then, I have (unconsciously) thought of them as table-filling algorithms from the lecture graphs. Thanks for making me cognizant of this!

However, after thinking about it some more, perhaps one could construct such algorithms that don’t have such a nice Euclidean structure? We’d then have to think of them as digraph-filling algorithms; in the above illustrated cases, the graph is nicely displayed by a 2D lattice; but we might have something complex like an arbitrarily-shaped graph. It may just happen that many of the problems we deal with in compsci are nicely representable by N-dimensional tables.

Personally when teaching DP, I introduce it in terms of memoization, then work up to reasons one might want it (small stack size, sanity may require order-of-evaluation hints, optimization tricks). From now on I think I will include table-filling (with the above caveat) =)

13. Wilford says:

sex toys
    Applying that same feminist “logic”, neither slut shaming (almost entirely
    done by women) nor FGM (women do the cutting of young girls)
    are real issues. Feminist “logic” dictates that we
    can ignore and forget about both.summonblood 1 point submitted 15 hours ago”Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term “private”.”From Title II, so I think
    the exemption is for male only or female only clubs.
    But that section of a parking lot isn’t its own separate establishment, it is part of the parking lot as a whole.

vibrators To directly answer your question, new organ recipients need to take immunosuppressive medication to ensure their bodies do not reject their new organs.
    The leading cause of death in organ recipients is not taking their medication, and close to half do not take their medication properly.

There are a myriad of simple reasons why healthy functioning adults don’t or forget to take their medication to stop organ rejection. vibrators

butt plugs I don’t like furry girls, and when he went down on her,
    I was like, ew. No offense to her, she’s gorgeous otherwise,
    but I have a preference against ferrets in panties. This scene has oral, doggy style, cow girl,
    spooning, and a few other varieties. Valli, et.

Al. Subchronic oral toxicity of di n octyl phthalate and di (2 ethylhexyl) phthalate in the rat.
    butt plugs

cheap vibrators I’ve had this corset now for
    about 3 months, and the plastic rods are starting to
    poke out of the corset. This is causing the boning
    to scratch me, and it’s highly uncomfortable. It annoyed me
    to no end. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers’ Limited’s Standard Terms and
    Conditions in accordance with our Privacy Cookie Policy.
    To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site.
    View our online Press Pack. cheap vibrators

male sex toys I think it was more supposed to be proof that
    seeing certain things on tv can make kids more
    likely to imitate that behavior? Or maybe they just really
    didn know that kids learn by copying adults and so
    will generally copy adults given the chance. It
    was the early 60s so I think maybe they just wanted solid
    proof of how kids learn/how likely they actually are to imitate behavior
    they see. Other than the tv thing I don know
    if they were really trying to prove anything.. male sex
    toys

sex Toys for couples I changed this to accommodate women with smaller
    hips, because the bottoms definitely run smaller than Leg
    Avenue claims. I honestly don’t think a woman with 40 inch hips could wear these
    comfortably, and even a woman with 39 inch
    hips may not like the way it rides up a bit. It all depends on how
    much booty you feel comfortable exposing.. sex Toys for couples

sex toys Flew planes for enjoyment. Painted incredible canvases.

Fooled around a lot (I think). To keep him happy while you r playing with one of yours, let him use a Lelo Billy.
    Perform oral while giving him light thrusting with
    either the Amysth or pure wand. When he is ready for next step let me
    know. For male condoms, sizing will always be an issue. How many of you
    have not already wondered what size you should choose? Because penises obviously come in all different sizes and shapes.
    You must already be aware of this, but wearing a condom adapted to the size
    of your member is essential in order to be able to enjoy sexual relations in the best possible
    conditions. sex toys

sex toys Every woman is different some women don’t even want to think about sex, others can’t think about
    anything else. As your hormone levels change, you might experience both over
    the course of your pregnancy. Listen to your body. The internet has dramatically changed
    the sex toy industry, including ideas about competition, which I discuss in the book’s conclusion. During the first wave of feminist sex toy retailing in the 1970s, when businesses like
    Eve’s Garden and Good Vibrations were founded, and later,
    during the second wave, when Babeland and Grand Opening opened their doors for businesses in the early 1990s, feminist vibrator shops didn’t have to worry about competition from
    online businesses. They were able to carve out their own sex positive niches in their respective
    cities of New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Boston, and
    build a loyal following of customers and fans sex toys.